Broker Check

Tax Organizer

Here is a list of documents and information to bring in for your drop off appointment. This list is a guideline to get you started and includes only the more common tax related items. If you are not sure whether or not something needs to be reported as income or can be claimed as a deduction or credit, bring what information you have and ask us about it during your appointment. You are also welcome to call or email us with your questions in advance of your appointment.

Previous 2 years tax returns

  • If we did not prepare your return for the prior year, please provide a complete copy of both your Federal and State Income Tax returns for the last 2 years.

New for tax year 2015

Form 1095 Healthcare coverage

  • The 1095 forms are filed by the marketplace (1095-A), other insurers (1095-B), or by your employer (1095-C)
  • You should receive the 1095 around 1 February

Administrative changes

Change of Address


  • We will use the information from last year. If we did not prepare your tax return for the prior year, we will need dates of birth as well
  • ONLY note changes in dependent status. List new dependents and their Social Security numbers and dates of birth or any dependents to remove


W-2 – Wage and tax statement

W-2G – Certain Gambling Winnings

1099-INT - Interest Income

1099-DIV – Dividend Income

1099-G – Certain Government Payment (Income Tax Refund, Unemployment)

1099-B – Proceeds from Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions (Sale of investments)

1099-R – Distributions From pensions, annuities, retirement or profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs

1099-SA – Distributions from your Health Savings Account

1099-Misc – Miscellaneous income

Alimony received

K-1 – For Partnership, S-Corp or Trust Income

SSA-1099 – If you are collecting Social Security

Rental property Documentation – Please separate by address if multiple properties.

  • Rental income (possibly a 1099-misc if using a property manager)
  • 1098 for mortgage interest
  • Repairs or improvements to the property
  • Appliances or furnishings
  • Mileage log or cost of travel to check on property / make repairs


For Those that own a home:

1098 – Mortgage interest statement

Property taxes - Taxes actually paid during the year

Registration slips (all vehicles, boats, trailers)

Charitable contributions

  • Cash
    • For any contribution of $250 or more, you must obtain and keep in your records a contemporaneous written acknowledgment from the qualified organization indicating the amount and whether the organization provided any goods or services in exchange for the gift
  • Property
    • You must obtain and keep in your records a contemporaneous written acknowledgment from the qualified organization indicating the description of any property contributed and the value of donated property
    • Here are links to a couple common valuation guides

Medical Expenses – Include any medical related expenses (doctor, dentist, eye doctor, chiropractor, etc). In order to deduct, must exceed 10% of your adjusted gross income. So if you have limited expenses, check with us before spending time collecting this information.

IRA contributions

  • Deductible or not, contributions must be reported

IRA fees paid

  • If you received an invoice and paid fees outside the IRA

Health Savings Account Contributions

Reserve Military travel expenses for attending drill

Outgoing Alimony

Student Expenses

1098-T – Tuition statement

1098-E – Student Loan Interest Statement

Employee expenses

  • Any work related expenses not reimbursed by your employer

Investment expenses

Childcare expenses

Moving Expenses

Teacher/Educator Expenses – K through 12 only

Foreign taxes paid

Special situations

Self-Employment – If you are self-employed and not familiar with what is required for your taxes, please call or email us and we will work with you on the specifics of your business.

Trusts & Estates – We are happy to help you prepare these types of tax returns as well. Please call or email us if you have questions regarding the information we will need to prepare the tax return.

For any other special situations such as adoptions, sale of business or business assets including rental property, sale of personal home, foreign earned income, debt cancelation, unreimbursed property casualty loss, etc., call or email us prior to your appointment so we can provide you with additional guidance on the information we will need.